Saturday, September 13, 2014

Book: An Introduction

A little over a year ago, at the time I’m writing this, I had this intense and growing desire to GET OUT AND GO from where I was, personally and professionally - in other words, to move away and change my life. Where was I and what was I doing, you ask? I’ll tell you that, in Chapter One (hint: incentive to buy and read on…), but first I want to bear with me as I bare my writer’s soul to you.

Three questions, asked on your behalf, the reader, pop into my mind as I start to write this.

1. “Why are you writing this?”

2. “What makes you qualified to write this?”

And, somewhat differently, but important:

3. “Who is your ideal reader?”

Answering these may help me as much as it helps you. And I do it at the risk that some of you may put down the book, or decide not to buy it. I think that’s okay, really. I wrote this to help people who may find themselves in the same situation as I found myself in not too long ago, so if reading this intro makes you “self-select” out of reading the book, then that means you’ve decided you can use your time and mental energies elsewhere, which is all for the best.
So let’s take on these questions.

1. “Why are you writing this?”

There are two reasons. First, as I just said, I hope this can do some good for people in my same stage of life, looking to make a major life transition. I think my own went pretty well, overall, and I’m thankful for that. But others may be nervous about such a move, and this may be a shot of courage to them. Second, mostly unrelated, I want to finish a writing project. I’ve had many ideas, and started some things, but I don’t finish them. So this is kind of a proving ground for me, and I thank you for being my lab rat. (If you’re still reading...)

2. “What makes you qualified to write this?”
I’m pretty much an expert in this topic, because I’ve done it. And though I just confessed to you that my job/life transition has, to this point, gone quite well, and I do believe that scar tissue is the best teacher, I don’t think that I’m doing you a disservice by sharing general rules and ideas, many of them based on the common sense my parents and friends wonder if I actually have. “You’re no expert, you’ve only done this once!” you say. Uh...duh. That’s the point. This is a book about making a FIRST career/life transition. By definition, you only do that once. The hope - for me and for you - is that the we’re better at taking a new job and moving the second time around, if we do such a thing. I can’t say I’ve seen any “how to” guides specifically for people doing something for the SECOND time.

3. “Who’s Your Ideal Reader?”

Anyone who can read! And those who can’t will get the eventual audiobook version!

Ok, not really. I’m being purposefully limited in my audience. Again, at the risk of alienating some readers, but to be completely transparent, I think you’ll get the most out of this book if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
  • Under 30 
  • Have been in a first job out of college for 2-3 years 
  • Moving from a smaller area to a bigger city 
  • Are thinking about making such a career/personal move, but have NOT yet made such a decision 
  • Would describe yourself as at least somewhat social and outgoing. You don’t need to be the life of the party, or a total gadfly, but this book does assume that you like to get out and meet new people and will have to “put yourself out there” sometimes. 
One more time: if you don’t meet any of these “qualifications,” you may read on and find yourself saying “this is dumb, I know all this.” And those who match every point on that list may, and likely will, think that while reading...but you’ll have something closer to an edifying experience, I think.

“A Dedicatory Toast”

Let me end this Introduction with a kind of “toast,” a pre-acknowledgement section, if I may.

With all the sincerity I can muster, let me say how profoundly grateful I am for the people in my life who have made this book possible. I’ll thank my parents and friends more later, because they deserve it. But who I’m really talking to are my friends and former colleagues of Hillsdale College, in Hillsdale, Michigan, the small town I left in order to move to the big city of Atlanta, Georgia. Hillsdale is a wonderful place full of wonderful people, as the sign at the entrance to the town tells you. And the people I’ve met here in Atlanta have been welcoming and encouraging. The South really does have a kind of genteel charm. I have good friends back home to keep me rooted, and new friends here in Atlanta that are helping me grow.

This book is dedicated to them. Cheers.

-Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment